Thursday, August 16, 2012

In ten years…..

So many blogs I read, so many forum posts, people write about “gender dysphoria” about “the Trans” (a new one I’ve found the young people use now, that makes it almost sound “cool” huh, like something you name in order to refer to it, a car for instance? “The STANG” or “the VETTE”, or if you’ve got high tastes “the ROLLS’”…. a sign of status, where people can understand a common abbreviation maybe?....)  and how it consumes them, how they desperately NEED F.F.S. how their body is making them “dysphoric”…. Or many other aspects; how their family won’t use the right pronouns etc. (and on it often goes without abate)

I dunno, it comes across to me as though changing their sex (however they each individually define that) is their ONLY goal in life.

You never read much about people talking about THE END of transition….. that’s something they never really talk about.

Does transition have an end?....

What is “transition” exactly?

What do YOU think it is?

Do YOU think there is an end for it?

If so, what would YOU say is the end?

I read a lot of people say they “transitioned” (insert number here) many years ago, and now they are working towards SRS. So I guess some people must define its completion as when you stop living life as your old “societally recognised” sex (which MOST people incorrectly refer to as “gender”) and start to try living your life as your new/preferred or correct (hopefully) “societally recognized” sex (IE the opposite one to which you were before and in these peoples case; still physically ARE).

Some people then; (I guess) see transition as changing how society (and in most cases, they include however many legal aspects that might be convenient to them personally, be that their legal name, and for some; they include how their sex is recognized by the legal system that is applicable to them) is technically supposed to recognise and handle them as individuals.

You see; society (the world and the people in it that we are included in as humans on a whole) has different rules for how to treat Males and females and men and women.

Those rules are there not only for convenience, but (some) are for specific reasons.

An example of a social rule based on sex that is designed for convenience, would be the pronouns we use to refer to someone. It’s easier to relay a person’s physical sex or refer to them by that sex when conversing with a third party (IE to use “him” for males and “her” for females), than it is to have to go into detail every time (and say: “the female person called Renee” or “Bob, the male person”) that just makes sense and makes language and communication easier and less confusing for everyone on whole, it’s a convenience thing.

And then there are rules that are in place for a specific reason.

Rules like those for which bathroom each sex is supposed to use.

Women are typically the female sex , they are smaller and weaker and potentially could be vulnerable to sexual attack when (necessarily) exposing themselves and confining themselves in a small space with (typically) only one escape path. Sexual (or any) attack is a serious concern for females(on a personal level AND as a group) , it can impact on them and their future, their happiness, their success and even their long term survival in life. Males aren’t typically susceptible to quite those same risks and repercussions.

So something society does as a necessity to (hopefully) ensure safety and longevity of individuals and us humans as a species is to simply separate the areas in which, each sex does their “business”. It’s an example of a rule that separates two sexes for a specific MEANINGFUL reason. (even if some people DO try to interpret alternative (fraudulent) meanings into its application to them and how they relate to the rest of society for whatever motive they may personally have).

So SOME people will say that the end of transition is when they stop using one set of social rules and start using the other set (and maybe even get away with it without backlash), and that THAT is what defines their SEX (IE that how they are supposedly societally recognised is what they would have you believe defines their innate sexual identity and that they have changed from one to the opposite).

Typically, the timing at which they make this change also correlates to the degree to which they have managed to change the external appearance of their physical body (and often also the timing of certain methods they undertake to do so). It’s common to hear that people go “fulltime” (living socially) after they have achieved what they feel are sufficient changes as a result of counter sexed hormone therapy, or after they’ve made surgical alterations to their body with breast augmentation of facial feminisation surgery.

In truth, I can claim these very things myself (relatively speaking) but I did not personally consider myself “transitioned” or that my transition was complete.

There’s another group who it seems think differently about the end of transition.

I read some places (and you might also) that people consider the end of their transition to be marked by (most often) the last thing on their list of things they need to complete (which generally includes all of the above, and the final and additional thing to this select/outlined group of people is apparently) Sex Reassignment Surgery (or SRS; just one of many names for what essentially is supposed yield the result of re-arranging the primary sex characteristics to match/resemble/mimic and function as much as possible, the opposite sex).

I guess these are the people you could say view “transition” primarily as a physical exercise, in an effort to be recognised as the opposite sex to that which they were born.

Most people would call this second group transsexual, and would say the first group is not REALLY transsexual, but rather, a group that people commonly refer to as transgender.

What I see from what I read of both groups is generally that there are two different epitaphs, generally two different ultimate goals for the groups, and generally what I also see is that the goal of each group tends to consume each individual’s (relative to which way they are inclined) life.

That end goal is what their life is about when you talk to them. It consumes everything they have. Often their money, their home, their families, even all of their worldly possessions.

Both goals take a varying amount of time and resources to achieve dependant on each individual and how they approach and attempt their goal, and what kind of means they have at the beginning, relative to possessions, education, earning power, personal attitude and a multitude of other factors.

No-one can predict their outcome and how long it will take them to achieve their goal, which is why I’ve titled this post the way I have.

It seems to me that Trans people are always living in and thinking about the here and now. Their focus is always solely on one of these two goals with a little left over to contemplate where they will get money to pay for food, or rent, or the mortgage payment, or their next dose of hormones, or whatever else it is, outside of their primary goal in life (and how they can achieve it), that demands the most of what little attention they can spare at that very moment.

You never seem to hear “trans” people talk about where they will or hope to be in ten years from now….

And from what I can tell, there seems to be two reasons for that.

1.       They don’t know if they’ll have finished their transition.

And

2.      Transition is their only goal, they don’t contemplate what life will be like after they’ve achieved what they’re trying to achieve.

So how could they possibly answer that question? And when you think about it; why would they want too? They might not like whatever answer they come up with.

So now, tell me (or don’t, just think about it for yourself maybe); where do YOU hope to be in ten years from now?

11 comments:

  1. Nice post and interesting to think about because transition, as I've experienced it and as I hear from so many others, is very goal oriented around specific outcomes that are not generally dealing with the future beyond transition. It's a very limiting exercise and, for me, SRS removed the limitations of transition. It's not that I don't still have things to work on vis a vis my continuing project of me, but that they are not part of the tunnel vision that existed in many ways before.

    So ten years from now? I'll be working to do the things I want to do in the field of education beyond the classroom, writing novels, loving my spouse and wondering where my son will be venturing off to continue his education.

    Ten years from now I'll be alive and well and still probably finding things about myself I want to improve and working to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how would you have answered the question Pre transition/SRS?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "they are not part of the tunnel vision that existed in many ways before"

    This was part of the point I was attempting to make.

    SRS is a life altering procedure, yet most people make a decision about it from a position where they are NOT or CANNOT reflect on its long term repercussions because IT is the only thing they focus on.
    How can a person know if something is the right thing for them and their life in the long term if they can’t see anything past the desire for that thing itself?
    Just because we WANT or FEEL we need something does NOT mean that thing is right for us and our lives or will be in 10, 15, 20 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, I always think down every possible pathway. It's how my brain works.

    So how would I have answered this question before? As far as hope goes, probably somewhere in the same ballpark that I do now with some minor variations. But my hopes would not have matched my expectations, at least at the beginning of transitioning. Just before surgery, the paths were much clearer, if still a bit obscured. The hopes much more in line with expected outcomes.

    Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not really, but that doesn't matter, if you are one who had considered/planned for post SRS life you are a rarity from what I observe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? That kind of makes me sad. The only thing I couldn't really predict about SRS is what it would feel like. I knew that it was something to get done in the same way that any necessary surgery is something to get done. But it didn't really factor in to my bigger picture life plans except in how I would go about paying for it all. My life is not wholly about being trans. It may be most of what I write about on the one particular blog, but I have a number of other blogs. I write where I'm interested at the time in saying something.

    Post SRS life is life where I work and play and create and live. The difference is, of course, I am no longer suffering as I did. Did no longer suffering factor into my life plans? Absolutely. I planned to be free of it. But suffering did not stop me from working and playing and creating and living. It just made it more difficult and I whinged about it a whole lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww.... Don't be sad 'tasha, it doesn't matter if I dont understand, just as long as you're happy, you'd thought your decision through, and it didn't change your life or who you are (dramatically)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I was sad that I am a rarity in these matters. I suppose I have read a number of "When I get SRS, then I can start to live" without defining what that living would entail.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, ok. Maybe I've misunderstood you (if so, I appologise).

    Is That what you were trying to say for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not at all. I knew what my life would be and it wasn't like I wasn't living before. I just wasn't living quite as well as I could be...as I am now. SRS simply fixed a medical issue. I don't have to worry about it anymore, which is quite nice.

    What I didn't know was what to do with all that extra space in my thought processes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's good! That's as it should be I think, and if that's the case for you then YES from what I observe, I'd say you're a rarity.

    I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete